|Module title & code||Management Information Systems– BC 35-3|
|Module learning outcomes||1. Identify strategic role of information systems in organizations in order to develop sustainable competitive advantage.
2. Demonstrate the strategic use of enterprise applications and analyze its impact on business productivity.
|What am I required to do in this assignment?|
|Assignment 1a. Group Report (20%):
The intense competition in today’s business environment means that tourism and hospitality businesses have to work hard to maintain and develop their competitiveness. The tourism and hospitality industries have widely adopted information technology [IT] to reduce costs, enhance operational efficiency, better customer experience, improve service quality and most importantly to build and sustain their competitive advantage(s) through the deployment of information systems across their value chain.
In this assignment, you are required to research the apparel tourism and hospitality business and produce a report addressing the following:
· A brief history of competitive advantage among tourism and hospitality.
· Factors driving the deployment of information systems for competitive advantage, by the leading tourism and hospitality business.
· Deployment of information systems in the front-end of the value chain and the resultant competitive advantages.
· Deployment of information systems in the back-end of the value chain and the resultant competitive advantages.
· Pursuit of competitive advantage by the tourism and hospitality business through the deployment of emerging technologies such as Internet of Things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence (AI), Virtual / Augmented Reality etc.
1. Title page
2. Table of content
3. Introduction to the assignment (What are you going to discuss in your assignment – why is it important – definitions)
4. Literature review (history of competitive advantage among tourism and hospitality- Factors driving the deployment of information systems by the leading tourism and hospitality business)
5. Discussion about deployment of information systems in the front-end of the value chain (examples of companies deploying information systems in the front-end and advantages and benefits- challenges)
6. Discussion about deployment of information systems in the backend of the value chain (examples of companies deploying information systems in the back-end and advantages and benefits-challenges)
7. Discussion about the use of emerging technologies in tourism and hospitality industry. (Emerging technologies and their impact on the business in tourism and hospitality industry)
9. References- Harvard referencing style
Note: Mere descriptive discussions would not fetch higher grades.
The following criteria will be used to evaluate the task:
1. Research rigour and conceptual clarity
2. Analysis of the tasks and usage of relevant examples
3. Application of theoretical/conceptual framework to address the task.
4. Structure, Vocabulary and Cohesiveness of the written report.
Assignment 1b. Group Discussion (30%):
1. The Group Discussion is based on the report (A1a) submitted by the Group, where the same groups formed in Assessment 1a will discuss their written report.
2. No powerpoint / prezi presentation is required as a part of the Group Discussion,
3. The Group Discussion will be of 15 mins. duration.
4. The Group Discussion will be moderated and evaluated by the Module Lecturers.
5. Each student in the group will be assessed individually. Refer to the rubrics to guide your preparation.
6. The Lecturers will be looking for evidence of logical arguments, strong communication skills, teamwork, confidence, strength of character, awareness of challenges surrounding IS and purposeful questioning of the information systems used.
|Is there a word limit (Number of Words ± 10%)?|
|2000 +/-10 %
|What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations)|
|· Understand and apply the concepts related to Management Information Systems.
· Appreciate the role of MIS and related technologies in building and sustaining competitive advantage.
· Interpret the concepts and principles of practice from the area of Information Systems and their application to the organisations.
· Apply contemporary MIS and related technologies to improve business operations and help managers in the process of making strategic decisions.
|How do I produce high quality work that merits a higher grade?|
|· Critically address the tasks with information and knowledge gained through rigourous research, exhibiting critical perspective, and addressing all the requirements of the assessment. You may want to refer to the marking criteria.
· Your report should exhibit excellent synthesis skills and should be characterised by a balanced and cohesive discussion.
|How does assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?|
The scheduled sessions introduce you to Management Information Systems and the relevant concepts that are related to your assignment. The sessions will help you gain conceptual understanding, develop analytical and application skills, which can be leveraged towards the completion of the assignment tasks.
The tourism andxxxxxxxxxx hospitality industry needs to deploy informationxxxxxxxxxxx systems in the value chain.xxxxxxx Information systems xxxxxxxxxxxxhave various advantages to tourism xxxxxxxand the hospitality industry, such as improvement of xxxxxxxxxxxxproduction and efficient communication creation of employment opportunitiesxxxxxxxxx. Information systems also havexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdifferent disadvantages, such asxxxxxxxxxx high installation and maintenancxxxxxxxxxxxe costs, loss of jobs, and misinformation xxxxxxxxxxxxxwhen erroneous xxxxxxxxxxxxdata is fed. Despite these shortcomings, it is always essential for businesses in this xxxxxxxxxxxxx industry to deploy various information systems to remain xxxxxx competitive in the market.
xxxxxxx( 2500, no. of Word count)