|Module code and title:||FY028 Inquiry Based Learning||Module leader:||Eleftheria Panagiotopoulou|
|Assignment No. and type:||CW1: Inquiry Project||Assessment weighting:||100%|
|Submission time and date:||21st May||Target feedback time and date:|
|In this assignment, you will undertake an inquiry-based project.
1. You will need to research current trends in the retail industry, using valid research sources.
2. Then you will choose one company and conduct an analysis of that company, using relevant business models. The name of this organisation will need to be confirmed with your tutor.
3.You will then need to make recommendations on what that organisation needs to do to focus on continuing their success, or alternatively what they need to focus on to survive.
TIP: It would be valuable to choose an organisation where you might be able to visit and potentially do some primary research on friends and family who might be customers of that organisation.
It is expected that the report (including any other requirements, will be around 2000 words; 650 words for the trends in retail, 650 for the analysis of the organisation and 650 for the recommendations.
Introduction: 100 words
Trends in Retail: 600-650 words
Analysis of the organisation: 600-650 words
Recommendations: 600-650 words
You will be expected to devote substantial time to completing this project independently, in addition to any scheduled teaching in the module.
You are expected to meet the following milestones (key actions and dates you need to achieve as part of the process). Precise dates will be agreed with your module tutor and supervisor:
1. Submit a plan for your project for approval and formative feedback from your supervisor
2. Provide a progress update on your project
3. Deliver the project report
|This assignment has been designed to provide you with an opportunity to demonstrate your achievement of the following module learning outcomes:|
|LO 1||Collect, select and use information from a range of sources using different methods, appropriate to the academic discipline and context.|
|LO 2||Investigate the needs, problems and opportunities of a given situation.|
|LO 3||Plan and undertake a project to address a subject-related problem or answer a subject-related question|
|LO 4||Communicate effectively, with well-structured verbal and written reports, as demanded in academic and professional domains.|
|· Written work submitted as part of this assignment should be presented in Arial 12, 1.5 line spacing
· Other submissions should be submitted in an appropriate format, as agreed with your supervisor
|Referencing and research requirements|
|Please reference your work according to Harvard referencing, as defined in Cite Them Right Online (http://www.citethemrightonline.com). This information is also available in book form: Pears, R. and Shields, G. (2016) Cite them right: the essential reference guide. 10th edn. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. Copies are available via the University library.
|How your work will be assessed|
|Your work will be assessed on the extent to which it demonstrates your achievement of the stated learning outcomes for this assignment (see above) and against other key criteria, as defined in the University’s Foundation Year grading descriptors.
This assignment will be marked according to the grading descriptors for Foundation Level.
· You are reminded of the University’s regulations on academic misconduct, which can be viewed on the University website: https://bucks.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0024/9546/Academic-Misconduct-Policy.pdf. In submitting your assignment, you are acknowledging that you have read and understood these regulations
· Please also note that work that is submitted up to 10 working days beyond the submission date will be considered a late submission. Late submissions will be marked, and the actual mark recorded but will be capped at the pass mark (typically 40%), provided that the work is of a passing standard. Work submitted after this period will not be marked and will be treated as a non-submission.
- Introduction (50-100 words)
– Here students need to include some general background information about the topic of their research.
- Background (650 words- secondary research- 50% of the mark)
- i) Here, students must analyse only 3 current retail trends from the list below:
- Fast fashion – Use the fashion items for a short time and dispose it – Eg. Zara, Primark, H&M, Boohoo etc.
- Sustainable fashion – Using the fashion items for long time – Eg. Patagonia Jackets
- Buy now pay later model (Klarna, ClearPay, LayBuy)
- Impact of online retailers (Boohoo.com, very.com, Amazon)
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning (Use of big data) – Predictive analytics
- Globalisation of productions – the Clothes are largely made in Bangladesh or Far-east
- The impact of Covid-19/Brexit on UK retailers
- The focus on becoming more customer centric and high-street retailers are attempting to provide experiences which cannot be provided by online retailers.
must analyse only 3 current retail trends from the list below: Fast fashion, The impact of Covid-19, and The focus on becoming more customer centric
TIP: Best resources can be accessed through Athens directory
- ABI/Inform Collection (Proquest)
- Passport – Euromonitor
- SAGE Journals
- Company annual reports
- Or Google Scholar
- ii) After analysing 3 of the above retail trends, students must formulate their research question and objectives.
- Analysis (650 words -50% of the mark-) Primary research and analysis-20% of the mark
Secondary research and analysis-30% of the mark).
Here, students must analyse the chosen company using any of the three market analysis models – (Porter’s 5 forces, SWOT, PESTEL).
TIP: A basic primary data collection is a must
Since students would find it difficult to obtain consent from retailers for primary data collection, it is ideal to rely on other students, friends, and families to respond as clients.
-Small survey within the classmates, friends, families would suffice – the learners should demonstrate some primary data collection and analysis (sample size 10 – 20)
-Eg. SurveyMonkey, GoogleDocs – can be used for questionnaire creation and analysis
-Semi-structured interview with 3 to 5 open-ended questions (sample size 3 – 5)
-The findings can be presented in the ‘analysis’ section which could feed into the recommendations
-Survey questionnaire or interview topic guide should be presented in the Appendix section
- Recommendations/Conclusion – (650 words –20% of the mark).
Students would provide the answer for ‘research question’ based on the analysis conducted in previous section
Recommendations to resolve the issues of struggling retailer
Or, Suggestions to continue the good practices of well-run retailer
(Survey questionnaire or Interview topic guide)
Module code and title: FY028 Inquiry Based Learning Module leader: Eleftheria Panagiotopoulou Assignment No. and type: CW1: Inquiry Project Assessment weighting: 100% Submission time and date: 21st May Target feedback time and date: Assignment task In this assignment, you will undertake an inquiry-based project. 1. You will need to research current trends […]